30 CFR § 5.10
Purpose and scope.
a) This part establishes a system under which MSHA charges a fee for services provided under this subchapter. This part includes the management and calculation of these fees.
(b) The services for which fees are charged are--
(1) Application processing by engineers, technicians and
other specialists (investigators), including administrative review of
applications, analysis of drawings, technical evaluation, testing, test set
up and tear down, consultation on applications and investigator travel, where
necessary to process the application;
(2) Clerical services, computer tracking and status
reporting, records control and security and document preparation directly
supporting application processing;
(3) A proportionate share of management, administration
and operation of the Approval and Certification Center which is in support of
application processing; and
(4) Amortization of facility improvements and depreciation
of buildings and equipment used for testing and evaluation or otherwise
directly associated with application processing.
(c) Fees are not charged for:
(1) Technical assistance not related to processing an
(2) Technical programs including development of new
(3) Participation in research conducted by other
government agencies or private organizations;
(4) Regulatory review activities, including participation
in the development of health and safety standards, regulations and
(5) Post-approval product audits.