30 CFR §62.160
(a) A mine operator must provide a hearing protector to a miner whose noise exposure equals or exceeds the action level under §62.120 of this part. In addition, the mine operator must:
- (1) train the miner in accordance with §62.180 of this part;
(2) allow the miner to choose a hearing protector from at least two muff types and two plug types, and in the event dual hearing protectors are required, to choose one of each type;
(3) ensure that the hearing protector is in good condition and is fitted and maintained in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions;
(4) provide the hearing protector and necessary replacements at no cost to the miner; and
(5) allow the miner to choose a different hearing protector(s), if wearing the selected hearing protector(s) is subsequently precluded due to medical pathology of the ear.
(c) The mine operator must ensure, after satisfying the requirements of paragraph (a) of this section, that a miner wears a hearing protector when the miner's noise exposure is at or above the action level, if:
- (1) the miner has incurred a standard threshold shift; or
(2) more than 6 months will pass before the miner can take a baseline audiogram.