(a) An application for approval of a battery assembly shall contain
sufficient information to document compliance with the technical requirements
of this subpart and include a composite drawing with the following
(1) Overall dimensions of the battery assembly, including
the minimum distance from the underside of the cover to the top of the
terminals and caps.
(2) Composition and thicknesses of the battery box and
(3) Provision for securing covers.
(4) Documentation of flame-resistance of insulating
materials and cables.
(5) Number, type, and rating of the battery cells.
(6) Diagram of battery connections between cells and
between battery boxes, except when connections between battery boxes are a
part of the machine's electrical system.
(7) Total weight of the battery, charged and ready for
(8) Documentation of materials and configurations for
battery cells, intercell connectors, filler caps, and battery top:
(a)(8)(i) If nonmetallic cover designs are used with cover
support blocks; or
(a)(8)(ii) If the cover comes into contact with any portion
of the cells, caps, filler material, battery top, or intercell connectors
during the impact test specified by §7.46.
(b) All drawings shall be titled, dated, numbered, and include the
latest revision number.
U.S. Department of Labor | Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) | 1100 Wilson Boulevard, 21st Floor | Arlington, VA 22209-3939 www.msha.gov | Telephone: (202) 693-9400 | Fax-on-demand: (202) 693-9401