(a) Detonators and explosives other than blasting agents shall be
stored in magazines.
(b) Detonators shall not be stored in the same magazine with
(c) Magazines other than box type shall be:
(1) Located in accordance with the current American Table
of Distances for storage of explosives.
(2) Detached structures located away from powerlines, fuel
storage areas, and other possible sources of fire.
(3) Constructed substantially of noncombustible material
or covered with fire-resistant material.
(4) Reasonably bullet resistant.
(5) Electrically bonded and grounded if constructed of
(6) Made of nonsparking materials on the inside, including
(7) Provided with adequate and effectively screened
ventilation openings near the floor and ceiling.
(8) Kept locked securely when unattended.
(9) Posted with suitable danger signs so located that a
bullet passing through the face of a sign will not strike the magazine.
(10) Used exclusively for storage of explosives or
detonators and kept free of all extraneous materials.
(11) Kept clean and dry in the interior, and in good
(12) Unheated, unless heated in a manner that does not
create a fire or explosion hazard.
(d) Box-type magazines used to store explosives or detonators in work
areas shall be constructed with only nonsparking material inside and equipped
with covers or doors and shall be located out of the line of blasts.
(e) Secondary and box-type magazines shall be suitably labeled.
(f) Detonator-storage magazines shall be separated by at least 25
feet from explosive-storage magazines.
(g) Cases or boxes containing explosives shall not be stored in
magazines on their ends or sides nor stacked more than 6 feet high.
(h) Ammonium nitrate-fuel oil blasting agents shall be physically
separated from other explosives, safety fuse, or detonating cord stored in
the same magazine and in such a manner that oil does not contaminate the
other explosives, safety fuse or detonating cord.
U.S. Department of Labor | Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) | 1100 Wilson Boulevard, 21st Floor | Arlington, VA 22209-3939 www.msha.gov | Telephone: (202) 693-9400 | Fax-on-demand: (202) 693-9401