(a) The following information shall be included in each roof control
(1) The name and address of the company.
(2) The name, address, mine identification number and
location of the mine.
(3) The name and title of the company official responsible
for the plan.
(4) A typical columnar section of the mine strata which
(a)(4)(i) Show the name and the thickness of the coalbed to be
mined and any persistent partings;
(a)(4)(ii) Identify the type and show the thickness of each
stratum up to and including the main roof above the coalbed and for distance
of at least 10 feet below the coalbed; and
(a)(4)(iii) Indicate the maximum cover over the area to be
(5) A description and drawings of the sequence of
installation and spacing of supports for each method of mining used.
(6) When an ATRS system is used, the maximum distance that
an ATRS system is to be set beyond the last row of permanent support.
(7) When tunnel liners or arches are to be used for roof
support, specifications and installation procedures for the liners or
(8) Drawings indicating the planned width of openings,
size of pillars, method of pillar recovery, and the sequence of mining
(9) A list of all support materials required to be used in
the roof, face and rib control system, including, if roof bolts are to be
(a)(9)(i) The length, diameter, grade and type of anchorage unit
to be used;
(a)(9)(ii) The drill hole size to be used; and
(a)(9)(iii) The installed torque or tension range for
tensioned roof bolts.
(10) When mechanically anchored tensioned roof bolts
are used, the intervals at which test holes will be drilled.
(11) A description of the method of protecting
(a)(11)(i) From falling material at drift openings; and
(a)(11)(ii) When mining approaches within 150 feet of an
(a)(12) A description of the roof and rib support necessary for the
(b) Each drawing submitted with a roof control plan shall contain a
legend explaining all symbols used and shall specify the scale of the drawing
which shall not be less than 5 feet to the inch or more than 20 feet to the
(c) All roof control plan information, including drawings, shall be
submitted on 8 1/2 by 11 inch paper, or paper folded to this size.
U.S. Department of Labor | Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) | 1100 Wilson Boulevard, 21st Floor | Arlington, VA 22209-3939 www.msha.gov | Telephone: (202) 693-9400 | Fax-on-demand: (202) 693-9401