| MSHA's Accident Prevention Program
The Magic Of Mentoring
|Mine Type: All mines, surface and underground|
|Category: Communications and Training|
Alfredo Paredes II of Temecula, California shares valued memories of being mentored:
Day in and day out we tram our drills to new locations and nothing ever happens. Just about the time we forget we are operating a piece of equipment with no suspension and not driving our trucks, it happens:
- You dump into a mud hole that wasn't there yesterday,
- one of your tracks goes over a rock in the road you did not see, or
- you are going up a steep incline and your tracks lose traction and you slide sideways.
1. "DRILLS CAN KILL"
2. "NEVER GO SIDEWAYS ON A INCLINE" , and
3. "ALWAYS TAKE THE TIME TO BE SAFE"
MSHA postscript: The message Mr. Paredes shares is much deeper than the tramming of a drill. Safety training can come in many forms. Often the best, most unforgettable training comes at the side of a parent, a mentor, or an older, experienced coworker who cared enough to take a new kid under his wing. In the workplace there is no greater act of kindness and caring than the sharing of a safe work attitude.
MSHA extends a thank you and a tip of the hardhat to |
a winner of a limited edition sticker and patch.
If you have a tip you would like to pass on, you can e-mail it to
If your tip is selected, you will receive credit in this space.