| MSHA's Accident Prevention Program
Pre-operational and Workplace Inspections
|Mine Type: All Surface|
|Category: General Safety|
Miners have been injured or killed when conditions were overlooked during these inspections.
Recommendations for pre-operational and workplace inspections:
- Carry a checklist while conducting inspections.
- "Danger off" any hazardous area or tag defective equipment immediately. Make a record of the readings and hazards.
- Seek assistance when inspecting areas or equipment with which you are unfamiliar.
- Walk slowly through the area and around equipment inspecting for hazards above, below and adjacent to the workplace.
- Take all necessary tools, warning signs and detection equipment with you during the inspection. Check and calibrate detectors prior to use.
- Notify the proper people so that the hazards or defects can be corrected as soon as possible.
MSHA extends a thank you and a tip of the hardhat to
Mr. John Englerth
a winner of a limited edition sticker and patch.
If you have a tip you would like to pass on, you can e-mail it to zzMSHA-MinersTips@dol.gov. If your tip is selected, you will receive credit in this space.