| MSHA's Accident Prevention Program
Rail Haulage Safety
When working around rail haulage equipment (surface or underground) please remember the following life saving procedures.
- Verify the roadway is clear by maintaining proper clearance as mandated by the 30 CFR.
- Use audible and/or visual warning devices before moving any equipment.
- Never position yourself between railcars.
- Secure your load in a suitable manner so no objects protrude out.
- If you have cars parked in a switch, it would be a good idea to paint a mark on the rail, which indicates the car is parked in the clear.
- Maintain safe operating speeds and proper distances between trips.
- Provide positive-acting stopblocks as pictured above.
|If you have a tip you would like to pass on, you can e-mail it to zzMSHA-MinersTips@dol.gov. If your tip is selected, you will receive credit in this space.|