MSHA's Accident Prevention Program
Tanker Truck Manhole Cover"
|Miners have been fatally injured in slip and fall accidents while accessing tanker truck manhole covers. The task of accessing tanker trailers becomes extremely hazardous when adequate fall protection is not provided and when working in windy and inclement weather conditions. To eliminate the falling hazard, innovative pneumatically actuated ports for dry bulk trailers are available to keep drivers/operators safely on the ground. This equipment can be designed with the following features:|
- A pneumatically actuated weather cap to cover the manhole opening preventing contamination of the lid operating area and the load.
- Weather caps and internal lids designed for pressurized and non-pressurized tank applications.
- Retrofit capability for new and existing trailers.
- Non-corrosive materials and high-grade gasket materials to eliminate lid failure due to environmental conditions.
- Control panel design for safe convenient/accessible locations on the ground.
- Switch activated single valve operation for both weather caps and internal lids.
For information on manufacturers that are known to MSHA to have such products available, contact MSHA's Applied Engineering Division at 304-547-2303 or e-mail zzMSHA-InnovativeProducts@dol.gov.