- Wear protective rubber gloves when handling energized trailing cables.
- Use nonconductive hooks designed for cable handling, or other protective devices, to reduce bending and lifting and to prevent cables from contacting the body or clothing.
- Examine cable for damage before handling.
- Ask for help when necessary. Use mechanical help, such as slings attached to bulldozers, as necessary.
- Make sure work area is free of tripping hazards. Be especially careful in mud, snow, and icy areas.
- Maintain safe distance from highwalls, stockpiles, and other loose and unconsolidated material.