- If possible, store materials on shelving, or slightly elevated from floor.
- Itís a good idea to practice lifting correctly a few times. You will probably notice that the correct way to lift is the easiest way to lift.
- If youíre going to do heavy lifting itís a good idea to warm up first by doing some flexing and stretching exercises and/or by lifting/moving smaller boxes and equipment first.
- Take breaks. At least once an hour, stand and stretch. Place your hands on your lower back and slowly arch backward.
- When another person is helping, communicate and plan the lift together to coordinate your actions.
Try This: Hold your hard hat or similar object out at armís length for one minute and then pull it to your chest. You will feel the difference. This demonstrates the importance of keeping the load close.