Mechanical Handling of Materials Review
- Inspect forklifts at beginning of each shift. If damaged/defective, remove from service until repaired.
- Watch for potential struck-by and crushed-by dangers.
- Keep forklift loads low when traveling. Keep speed low, and keep load uphill on grades.
- Maintain safety equipment. Don’t make unauthorized modifications or exceed capacity.
- At loading docks place an appropriate dock plate; be sure brakes are set, wheels chocked and/or dock lock in use; inspect floor of trailer; and place a jack stand under "nose" of trailer if it could tip.
- Inspect hoists frequently and thoroughly, and abide by load limits.