Executive Order 12866 specifically addresses regulatory planning,
coordination, and review by Federal agencies. Its goals are:
To make the Federal regulatory process more accessible and
open to the public.
To provide the American people with a regulatory system -
- that works for them, not against them;
- that protects and improves their health, safety,
environment, and well-being;
- that improves the performance of the economy
without imposing unacceptable or unreasonable costs on
- that recognizes that the private sector and
private markets are the best engine for economic
- that respects the role of State, local, and tribal
To ensure that rules are effective, sensible, understandable,
and consistent within the same agency and between agencies.