Executive Orders 12866 and 13563 specifically addresses regulatory planning,
coordination, and review by Federal agencies. Its goals are:
To make the Federal regulatory process more accessible and open to the public.
To provide the American people with a regulatory system -
- that promotes an open exchange of ideas;
- that works for them, not against them;
- that is based on the best available science;
- that protects and improves their health, safety, environment, and well-being;
- that improves the performance of the economy
without imposing unacceptable or unreasonable costs on
- that recognizes that the private sector and
private markets are the best engine for economic
- that respects the role of State, local, and tribal
To ensure that rules are effective, sensible, understandable, written in plain language, and consistent within the same agency and between agencies.