Equipment Types and Manufacturers
There are many types of rock dusters provided by manufacturers today. The most common types of dusters are referred to as:
- High pressure bulk - transfers large dust quantities in short time with limited labor required.
- Bantam - portable unit that can mount on equipment to easily dust face areas or can be used to spot dust.
- Slinger - portable duster with good perimeter coating in a single pass.
- Trickle - good for dusting return entries or belt entries, run continuously.
- Wet / Slurry - more coverage per pound of dust, good adherence to coal, can dust with miners inby and easily applied in high areas.
- Mine-wide automated dusting systems - System can be PLC controlled (programmable logic controlled) requiring less manpower.
To ensure mine operators are familiar with these types of rock dusting systems and availability, MSHA has created a link (see below) to rock dusting equipment manufacturers so information on these systems may be disseminated.
Manufacturer Product List and Contact Information
*MSHA does not endorse any manufacturer. This webpage is intended to provide the mining industry with information regarding rock dusting machine types, availability, operating instructions, and new technologies.
The below listed manufacturers can be found on the internet and they should be contacted for more information on their product line.
If you are a manufacturer that would like to be added to the list, please contact Ben Gandy or Howard Epperly, MSHA Approval and Certification Center, at 304-547-2322 / 304-547-2034 respectively, or via e-mail at Gandy.Benjamin@dol.gov / Epperly.Howard@dol.gov
(Rock dusting equipment manufacturers listed in alphabetical order)
(Operating instructions for specific equipment listed below)
A.L. Lee Corporation
P.O. Box 99
Lester, WV 25865
Fax (304) 934-5388
- MARSII Rockdust system
- MARSII Operation Information
- Maintenance Information for Model 628
- Operating Instructions for Model 628 RM
26864 Watauga Road
P.O. Box 610
Abingdon, Virginia 24212
- Operating instructions for Hydraulic Broadcast Duster #HBDG
- Operating instructions for Hydraulic Auger Rockduster
Irwin Mine and Tunneling Supply
P.O. Box 409
Irwin, PA 15642
Office: (724) 864-8900
Fax: (724) 864-0803
Johnson Industries, Inc.
101 Pine Fork
Pikeville, KY 41501
(304) 259-2201 x233
Morgantown Machine & Hydraulics
A Swanson Industries Company
437 Goshen Road - Morgantown, WV 26508
- The Deron RD55 Hydraulic Rockduster
Some or all of the files available on this page are PDF. For more information on PDF, PDF readers and accessibility issues, please use this link.