|MSHA Job Safety Tips|
SLIPS OR FALLS
Four miners were seriously injured while traveling in slopes and pitch entries.
The accidents resulted from the following causes:
- The ladder provided was blocked by a platform requiring the miner to cross into the slope haulage area.
- The miner lost his footing while entering/exiting the slope conveyance.
- The miner lost his footing while traveling or working in a slant driven off of a slope airway.
- The miner lost his footing while installing cribbing at the collar of a new mine opening.
- Ladders and protected manways must be maintained in safe travelable condition.
- Ladders in the slope must be provided with doors wherever the ladder passes through platforms installed for pumping, electrical installations, and access to doors or other ventilation controls for examination purposes.
- Travelways/manways in active slants and moderate to steep pitch openings must be installed and maintained to ensure safe footing.
- Travelways/manways/escapeways must be kept clear of supplies and/or extraneous materials practice good housekeeping.
- Select footwear appropriate to the conditions present in our typical underground mines.
Mine Safety and Health Administration