30 CFR 62.120
30 CFR §62.120 Action level
MSHA's definition of action level can be found here: Action Level
MSHA policy regarding this standard can be found here: Noise Enforcement Policy
This standard applies to surface and underground metal and nonmetal and coal mines.
Other relevant MSHA standards:
62.150 Hearing conservation
Issues to Consider in Determining Compliance:
• Did the miner's noise exposure meet or exceed the action level?
• Does the mine operator have a system of monitoring that sufficiently evaluates each miner's noise exposure to determine continuing compliance?
• Is a hearing protector provided to each miner whose noise exposure equals or exceeds the action level?
• Does the mine operator offer miners the opportunity for audiometric tests at no cost?
• Are affected miners notified in writing within 10 days of the results of their audiometric test?
• Is training provided within 30 days of a miner's enrollment into a hearing conservation program?
• Are required records available for review by authorized representatives of the Secretaries of Labor and Health and Human Services?