MSHA's Safety Targets Program
Hit By Equipment (Surface - Coal)
From January 2000 to December 2008, there were 11 fatalities related to accidents where miners were hit by mobile equipment on the surface of coal mines (both underground and surface mines). Five of these fatalities were the result of pedestrian and vehicle collisions; four of the fatally injured miners were run over by their mobile equipment; and the remaining two fatally injured miners were in a van that was run over by a large haul truck. The contributing cause for the majority of these accidents was a lack of positive or certain communication.
MSHA believes that these types of accidents can be prevented if operators and all other members of the mining community follow the simple rules outlined in this "Hit by Equipment (Surface)" package.
MSHA is distributing this information to increase hazard awareness among miners who operate or work around surface mobile equipment. Please use this information to increase awareness and assist in training miners who work around surface mobile equipment.
Please review this information with miners in your operation and learn about accidents involving being hit by underground mobile equipment. MSHA hopes that this information will help you take measures to prevent you and other miners from being involved in similar accidents, remember "The life you save may be your own."
Please share this information with your co-workers and discuss it at safety meetings. If you have questions or need additional copies of this information, please contact Michael Getto by phone
at 304 547 2303 or by email at email@example.com.
- Please note, due to the extensive nature of the content found on the CD's and/or DVD's we are providing you with a sample of what may be found. If you are interested in the entire content, please see the contact information above.
- Do's and Don'ts
- Awareness Information
- Best Practices for Haulage Machine Operators Haulage Equipment Operators
- Truck Drivers Safe Operating Procedures
- Training Checklist
- Safety Meeting Topics
- Safety Director's Helper
- Best Practices Pocket Cards
- BP-8, Pre- & Post-Operation Inspection of Surface Haulage Equipment
- BP- 23 Haulage for Contractors
- BP-40 Truck Drivers Safe Operating Procedures
- Outreach Information
- Miner's Tips and Safety Ideas
- Innovative Products and New Technologies
- Proximity Detection Web Site
Some or all of the files available on this page are PDF. For more information on PDF, PDF readers and accessibility issues, please use this link.