MSHA's Safety Targets Program
Maintenance In Coal Mines
From 2000-2008, there have been 14 fatalities in coal mines directly relating to maintenance activities. MSHA believes that these types of accidents can be prevented if mine operators train miners to follow the guidance outlined in this "Maintenance in Coal Mines Safety Target Package."
This package includes information addressing the safety hazards associated with maintenance activities in coal mines. MSHA is providing this information to increase hazard awareness and to improve miners' abilities to recognize risks related to performing maintenance in coal mines. This information is useful for surface and underground workers because:
- Many new miners have been hired in recent years;
- Many experienced miners are performing tasks other than their regular tasks and may be unaware of the hazards involved with maintenance in coal mines; and
- All miners should periodically be reminded of the dangers associated with performing maintenance at coal mines.
Please share this information with your co-workers and discuss it at safety meetings. If you have questions or need additional copies of this information, please contact Michael Getto by phone
at 304 547 2303 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please note, due to the extensive nature of the content found on the CD's and/or DVD's we are providing you with a sample of what may be found. If you are interested in the entire content, please see the contact information above.
- Do's and Don'ts
- Rigging, Hoisting and Towing Toolbox (Powerpoint® Show)
- Conveyor Belt Safety (On CD)
- Program Information Bulletins
- P09-15: Re-issue of P03-10 - Potential Safety Hazards Related to Explosion of Pumps.
- P09-14: Re-Issue P06-01 - Compliance with the Testing and Maintenance Requirements of 30 C.F.R. 75.1911(i), Fire Suppression Systems for Diesel-Powered Equipment and Fuel Transportation Units.
- P07-11: Examination of Electrical Underground Coal Mine Equipment
- P05-15: Responsibility for Proper Assembly and Maintenance of Permissible Mining Machines and Equipment
- Program Policy Letters
- Safety Ideas
- Miners' Tips
- Innovative Products
- Safety Hazard Alerts
- Best Practices
Electrical Hazards in Coal Mining - Programmed Instruction Book
Some or all of the files available on this page are PDF. For more information on PDF, PDF readers and accessibility issues, please use this link.