MSHA's Safety Targets Program
Roof and Rib Falls (Coal)
The contents of the package include information and materials addressing the safety hazards associated with roof and rib falls. MSHA is issuing this package for operators to share with all miners working on, or near roof and ribs because:
- Many new miners have been hired in recent years.
- Many experienced miners were working in other job classifications at other mining operations where roof and rib conditions may have been less severe or different than the conditions they are currently working in.
- All miners should periodically be reminded to the inherent hazards of roof and rib falls.
Please share this information with your co-workers and discuss it at safety meetings. If you have questions or need additional copies of this information, please contact Michael Getto by phone
at 304 547 2303 or by email at email@example.com.
- Please note, due to the extensive nature of the content found on the CD's and/or DVD's we are providing you with a sample of what may be found. If you are interested in the entire content, please see the contact information above.
- "Do's and Don'ts"
- Booklet - Roof and Rib Control - Coal Miner's Handbook
1. "Roof and Rib Control"
2. "Make it Safer with Roof Screens"
3. "Supervisor's Responsibilities in Roof Control" (On DVD)
4. "Scaling" 5. "Roof Fall Entrapment: Survivor and Eye Witness Accounts"
- Collection contains accounts from:
i. Larry Clevenger
ii. Donzil Cutlip
iii. Dave Garry
iv. Dave Murone
v. Larry Strayer
Some or all of the files available on this page are PDF. For more information on PDF, PDF readers and accessibility issues, please use this link.