MSHA's Safety Targets Program
Surge Pile Safety Awareness
- Like all job classifications, dozer operating can be rotational.
- Periodically, all dozer operators should be re-alerted to the inherent hazards of working on or around surge piles.
- Many new dozer operators have been hired since 2004.
- Many dozer operators were working in other job classifications in 2004 and may not be aware of this information package.
Please read this information, learn about accidents involving dozers on surge piles and about measures you can take to prevent yourself from being involved in a similar accident. The life you save may be your own.
Please share this information with your co-workers and discuss it at safety meetings. If you have questions or need additional copies of this information, please contact Michael Getto by phone
at 304 547 2303 or by email at email@example.com.
- MSHA provides the attached information to enhance public awareness of mine safety and health issues. Manufacturer, product, and service information contained within the "Surge Pile Safety Awareness" packet does not constitute promotion, endorsement, or advertising by MSHA. The information is intended as examples that demonstrate product and service availability and use. MSHA recognizes that other companies may provide similar products and services.
- Please note, due to the extensive nature of the content found on the CD's and/or DVD's we are providing you with a sample of what may be found. If you are interested in the entire content, please see the contact information above.
- Video Clip - Another Sunrise: A Close Call on a Surge Pile
- Video Clip - Hazards and Safety Practices on Surge Piles
- Video Clip - Hazards of Coal Stockpiling Operations
- Video Clip - Safety Improvements for Surge Piles
- Video Clip - Think Quicksand
- Stock Piling Safety - MSHA Safety Manual #27
- Close Calls and Near Misses
- Miners' Tips - Suggestions directed to individual miners to enhance personal safety
- Best Practices
- Program Informational Bulletin
- PIB99-1: January 13, 1999 - Fatalities Resulting from Hazards on Coal Stockpiles
- Equipment Safety and Health Concerns Internet Link
- MSHA IR 1212
- Material Instability Hazards in Mine-Processing Operations (Surge Pile Information On Pages 2-6)
- Products to Enhance the Safety of Dozers Working on Surge Piles
Some or all of the files available on this page are PDF. For more information on PDF, PDF readers and accessibility issues, please use this link.