° PDF Version
Life or Death Experience
EACH YEAR, MINERS DOING MAINTENANCE WORK ARE SEVERELY INJURED OR KILLED FROM A WIDE VARIETY OF HAZARDS, INCLUDING ELECTRICAL SHOCK, INADVERTENT MOVEMENT OF MACHINERY OR EQUIPMENT, AND FALLING OFF PLATFORMS OR RAISED AREAS.
- Establish safe work procedures, incorporating manufacturer's recommendations, to assure that workers are not exposed to hazards when performing maintenance or repair.
- Ensure that all workers are trained in and follow established safe work procedures.
- Prior to beginning work, clear the area of trip and fall hazards.
- Provide safe access to all work areas.
- Lock and tag electrical equipment and secure mobile equipment against movement prior to repair work.
- Use appropriate fall protection where there is a danger of falling.
- Stay focused for your own safety and for the safety of your fellow workers.