District 5 - Coal Mine Safety and Health
A Near Miss
On Monday, October 16, 2000, a driver of a Kenworth tractor trailer coal haulage truck started down a steep grade (approximately 15%) at a surface mine. He attempted to use his brakes and found that they were not functioning properly. The truck traveled approximately 500 feet down the roadway before overturning into the ditch. The driver received minor injuries, and the truck was a total loss.
- Thoroughly perform pre-operational examinations of mobile equipment as required.
- Functionally test brakes before operation.
- Maintain brakes in good working condition.
- Check the gear position before descending steep grades.
- Correct safety defects before equipment is used.