Explosives Security Reminder - Best Practices
Dear Mine Operator,
Given the heightened level of security that our country faces, the Mine Safety and Health Administration wants to remind you of the need to ensure that the explosives at your site are secured and accounted for. In addition to compliance with all applicable regulations, the following best practices can be used as a guide to assist you in this process.
- Inspect and verify that each magazine is properly secured according to MSHA/ATF regulations as well as manufacturers recommendations.
- Report missing explosives immediately.
- Ensure that any vehicle used to transport explosives is properly secured and attended.
- Verify that inventories of explosives are correct and that a copy is maintained in the magazines with a duplicate at the mine office.
- Verify any person's identity before allowing them to enter explosive magazines or review inventory records.
- Review security measures at your facility to determine if further measures are necessary to protect explosives from theft.
- Verify that telephone numbers for the proper authorities are posted at conspicuous locations.
- Periodically inspect magazines for evidence of tampering or theft.
- Hold safety meetings with all employees to alert them to these activities and the reason for them.
- Immediately report any indication of shortages, loss or theft of any explosive material to ATF at 1-888-ATF-BOMB (1-888-283-2662).