This Checklist for Mine Emergencies was developed by a team composed of members from Technical Support, Coal Mine Safety and Health, and Metal and Nonmetal Safety and Health. Since it was developed, it has been improved by incorporating the needs based on additional mine emergency experiences.
B. SHUTDOWN OPERATION
- Activate Notification Procedures for Emergency Contacts.
- Notify Key Mine Officials.
- Notify MSHA Officials.
- Notify State Officials.
- Notify Labor Organization Officials.
- Notify Police.
- Notify Fire/Rescue Organizations.
- Notify Neighboring Mines.
- Notify Family Members.
- Notify Medical Support Personnel.
C. SECURITY AND SITE MONITORING
- Assemble Employees.
- Debrief Witnesses.
- Account for All Persons Known to Be at the Mine.
- Assign Employees to Tasks.
D. COMMAND CENTER
- Establish Security - All Access Roads.
- Establish Check-in/Check-out System for All Authorized Persons.
- Assign Site Monitors and Shift Rotation Schedule.
- Establish Parking Area and Staging Area.
- Follow Mine Emergency Plan.
- Setup a Mine Emergency Command System.
- Staff Emergency Organization.
- Delegate Authority and Assign Duties.
- Give Appropriate Orders.
- Brief Arriving Personnel.
- Review all Mine Maps and Coordinate Reference Points on all Maps.
- Make Extra Copies of Maps
- Establish Gas Monitoring, Data Analysis, and Trend Analysis.
- Follow Appropriate Safety Precautions.
- Request/Dispatch Additional Persons to Mine as Required.
- Take Appropriate Actions Relative to Site Recovery.
- Establish a Shift Rotation Schedule for Command Personnel.
F. MEDICAL ARRANGEMENTS
- Relay Information to the Command Center.
- Establish External Communications (Corporate, MSHA, State, Miner's Representatives, Medical, Legal, Etc.).
- Monitor and Log All Communications.
G. ACQUISITION OF EQUIPMENT, MATERIALS, AND SERVICES
- Arrange for Ambulance and Medical Services.
- Setup Temporary Morgue (if required).
- List All Equipment in the Mine and on the Surface.
- Locate and Check Onsite Equipment for Possible Use.
- Arrange for Heavy Equipment if Required.
- Arrange for Portable Radios.
- Provide Transportation for Equipment.
- Obtain Personal Protective Equipment.
- Establish Waiting and Briefing Area for Family/Relatives (Provide Food and Sitting/Sleeping Area).
- Establish Press Briefing Area.
- Appoint a Spokesperson for All Entities.
- Brief Family Members on a Regular Schedule.
- Brief the Press and Media on a Regular Schedule