COAL MINE FATALITY – On February 10, 2020, a mine examiner was operating a personnel carrier down a mine intake slope. Evidence indicates that the personnel carrier struck the left rib while traveling down the intake slope. The mine examiner was found unresponsive near the bottom of the slope, lying beside the personnel carrier.
- Maintain control and stay alert. Be aware and stay in control when operating mobile equipment. Install mechanical devices that limit the maximum speed of the equipment.
- Operate mobile equipment safely. Operate equipment at speeds that are consistent with the type of equipment, roadway conditions, grades, clearances, and visibility.
- Test brakes, steering, and other safety devices. Correct safety defects before operating mobile equipment. Test mobile equipment before it is operated and before going up or down steep slopes.
- Always wear seat belts.
- Properly train miners. Ensure each operator of mobile equipment receives proper task training.
- Remove unneeded materials. Keep personnel carriers free of unneeded materials.
This is the 2nd fatality reported in 2020, and the first classified as “Powered Haulage.”