Mill - Cement – A crane operator suffered serious injuries while attempting to stow the crane’s lattice extension. The lattice extension was not mechanically secured or blocked and fell on the miner standing beneath it, causing serious injury. The accident occurred on February 27, 2017.
- Securely rig a load prior to lifting or moving.
- Confirm that the load will not exceed the allowable capacity of the rigging.
- Prior to attempting a lift, know the weight of the load (including the load block and rigging) and make sure it is less than the crane's lifting capacity for the required reach. Refer to applicable load charts.
- Perform a thorough pre-operational inspection of the crane and rigging components.
- Observe and follow all warning labels and signs on equipment.
- Stay clear of a crane's overhead boom and do not work beneath a suspended load.
- Always be aware of your location in relation to machine parts that can move.