Limestone mine - During a blast, fly rock left the mine site and struck the windshield of a pick-up truck traveling by on a public road near the mine site. The driver and the passenger both received minor injuries.
- Consider mine specific conditions and rock strata when designing blasts to prevent fly rock. Closely follow mine policies and procedures through all phases
- of the blasting operation.
- Maintain and use all available methods of communication, such as sirens and radios, to warn persons of impending blasting operations.
- Schedule blasting between shifts or on off-shifts. Utilize suitable blast shelters for all persons at the mine site during blasting.
- Take special precautions to ensure that all roadways and regularly traveled areas are blocked to prevent access by persons unaware of an impending blast.