Surface – Sand and Gravel – on October 11, 2017, a miner received an electrical shock while working in a 480-volt electrical control panel for a portable crusher without locking and tagging out the circuit. The injured miner was transported to a local hospital, treated, and released.
- Develop, communicate, and follow a written plan before performing electrical work to ensure that safety is maximized for all miners involved in the task.
- Prior to conducting any electrical work, identify hazards, establish safe limits of approach, and determine appropriate PPE ratings.
- Wear properly rated and well maintained PPE.
- Before working on equipment, always de-energize, lock and tag out the circuit with your lock and tag.
- Test to ensure electrical circuits are de-energized using properly rated test equipment prior to performing work.
- Use properly rated electrical meters and non-contact voltage testers to ensure electrical circuits are deenergized prior to performing electrical work.