MINE FATALITY – On December 15, 2020, a miner was fatally injured while changing the rear tire on a front-end loader. The victim was underneath the front-end loader when it fell.
- Securely block raised equipment to prevent movement.
- Do not rely solely on hydraulic jacks.
- Perform equipment maintenance requiring lifting or raising equipment on a level and solid ground.
- Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for changing tires.
- Establish safe operating procedures for all work.
- Ensure all workers are trained in safe operating procedures.
This is the 29th fatality reported in 2020, and the ninth classified as “Machinery.”