The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) provides that any person has the right to request access to federal agency records or information. Like all federal agencies, the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) is required to disclose records requested in writing by any person. However, agencies may withhold information pursuant to nine exemptions and three exclusions contained in the statute.
MSHA FOIA Information
Administrative Staff Manuals and instructions to staff that affect a member of the public.
Opinions and Orders made in the adjudication of cases
Statements of Policy and Interpretations adopted by the agency and not published in the Federal Register
Office of Accountability Audits
Other FOIA Resources
- DOL FOIA Page
- Annual FOIA Reports
- DOL FOIA Regulations (effective January 23, 2017)
- DOL Guide for Requesting FOIA Records
- Freedom of Information Act
- Executive Order 13392
- The Department of Justice's FOIA page is considered one of the best sources for general U.S. Government FOIA information. This site includes general information, information on making a FOIA request (Government Wide), and much more. You may access this site at.
- FOIA, 5 U.S.C., Section 552 as Amended by P.L. No. 110-175, 121 Stat. 2524, and Public Law No. 111-83, Section 564, 123 Stat. 2142, 2184
Freedom of Information Act Requests
The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) allows the public to request records maintained by any federal agency. Under FOIA, agencies are required to provide the requested records unless they are exempt from disclosure as defined in the Act.
To request records from the Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA), individuals must submit a written request by mail, delivery service, courier, fax, or email. The request and the envelope, email subject line, or facsimile cover sheet should be clearly marked "Freedom of Information Act Request" or "FOIA Request."
- Requests submitted by email must be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Requests submitted to any other e-mail address will not be accepted.
- Requests submitted by mail, delivery service, courier, or fax may be sent to either the National MSHA FOIA Officer or the appropriate MSHA FOIA Coordinator for the program office that maintains the records. Individuals with questions concerning their requests may contact the FOIA Coordinator to whom they sent their request or the MSHA FOIA Office at 202-693-9466 or MSHA.FOIA@dol.gov.
Click here for a listing of the MSHA program office contact information.
Submit a request to the National MSHA FOIA Officer:
U.S. Department of Labor - MSHA
201 12th St S
Arlington, VA 22202-5450