MINE FATALITY – On July 24, 2020, two miners were loading explosives from inside an aerial lift’s basket when the basket jolted upward into the mine roof, causing the death of one of the miners.
- Check all equipment before using it. Report all defects affecting safety to a responsible person for correction.
- Service and maintain hydraulic systems according to the manufacturer’s specifications and schedules. Excessive pressure in a hydraulic circuit can drastically alter the control of booms, etc., creating serious hazards.
- Instruct aerial lift users on hazard recognition and safe job procedures to avoid unsafe conditions.
- Train lift operators in safe operating procedures listed in the operator’s manual.
- Report equipment malfunctions and remove the equipment from service until repaired.
This is the 12th fatality reported in 2020, and the third classified as “Machinery.”