Surface – Sand – A dozer operator was backing up a hill when his ripper tooth went into the hood of a quarry foreman’s truck. The foreman was standing next to the truck prior to the accident and was not injured in the accident.
• Ensure travelways are clear before moving a vehicle or mobile equipment.
• When backing up, look over your shoulder to eliminate blind spots. When using mirrors, use all available mirrors.
• Do not travel long distances in reverse, and when able, turn the vehicle around to drive in a forward direction.
• Install “rear viewing” cameras on vehicles.
• Sound horns before moving equipment in areas where miners are present.