Surface Limestone – A miner operating an empty articulating haul truck lost control on a downhill grade and overturned. The driver was hospitalized with serious injuries but survived, likely because he was wearing his seat belt.
- Always wear a seat belt when operating mobile equipment.
- Task train mobile equipment operators adequately and ensure each operator can demonstrate proficiency in all phases of mobile equipment operation before performing work.
- Conduct adequate pre-operational checks and correct any defects affecting safety in a timely manner prior to operating mobile equipment.
- Maintain control of self-propelled mobile equipment while it is in motion.
- Post safe speed limits for the mine roads and remind mobile equipment operators to reduce speed when weather conditions change.