METAL/NONMETAL MINE FATALITY - On December 15, 2011, a 22 year-old laborer with 3 months of experience was killed at a surface stone operation. The victim, who was last seen on a control tower, fell into an operating jaw crusher.
- Always use fall protection when working where a fall hazard exists.
- Establish policies and procedures for safely clearing plugged material in a jaw crusher.
- Ensure that persons are task trained and understand the hazards associated with the work being performed.
- Deenergize and Lock-out/tag-out all power sources before working on crushers.
- Do not place yourself in a position that will expose you to hazards.
- Monitor personnel routinely to determine that safe work procedures are followed.
This is the 16th fatality reported in calendar year 2011 in the metal and nonmetal mining industries. As of this date in 2010, there were 30 fatalities reported in these industries. This is the 4th Powered Haulage fatality in 2011. There were 3 Machinery fatalities in the same period in 2010.