METAL/NONMETAL MINE FATALITY - On December 10, 2013, a 27-year old deck hand with 4 years and 8 months of experience drowned at a dredge operation. He was working on a dredge that had a barge attached to it. The victim stepped on the barge and fell into the water.
- Task train all persons to recognize all potential hazardous conditions and ensure they understand safe job procedures for elimination of the hazards before beginning work.
- Always wear a life jacket where there is a danger of falling into the water.
- Remove snow and ice from work areas.
- Ensure safe access is provided where persons are required to work or travel. Maintain three points of contact.
- Install and use lifeline tie-off runs and fall protection.
- Provide communication devices and establish procedures requiring persons to alert coworkers when they are outside the dredge’s handrails.
This is the 22nd fatality reported in calendar year 2013 in metal and nonmetal mining. As of this date in 2012, there were 16 fatalities reported in metal and nonmetal mining. This is the 1st Other (Drowning) fatality in 2013. There were 0 Other (Drowning) fatalities in the same period in 2012.