Accident Report: Fatality Reference
MSHA MINE FATALITY – On Wednesday, July 17, 2019, a 32-year old general manager/owner was killed when he was struck by a hydraulic breaker. The victim and the excavator operator were in the process of positioning the excavator for a motor exchange when the hydraulic breaker attachment fell off the excavator and hit the victim.
- Conduct adequate pre-operational checks and correct any defects affecting safety in a timely manner prior to operating mobile equipment.
- Make sure machine implements are securely attached to prevent unintentional disconnection.
- Stay clear of suspended loads and raised equipment.
- Any repairs to equipment should be made to OEM specifications
- Always position yourself in a safe location and away from potential “red-zone” areas. Consult and follow the manufacturer’s recommended safe work procedures.
- Train miners to recognize potential hazardous conditions and understand safe job procedures before beginning work.
This is the 11th MSHA fatality reported in calendar year 2019. As of this date in 2018, there were 11 MSHA fatalities reported. This is the fifth machinery accident classification fatality in 2019. There was one machinery accident classification fatalities during the same period in 2018.