MINE FATALITY – On October 13, 2020, a miner died after being struck by a battery-powered scoop. He had parked his shuttle car in an intersection and was exiting when a scoop went through a ventilation curtain in an adjacent crosscut and struck him.
- Install and maintain proximity detection systems on mobile section equipment.
- Use transparent curtains for ventilation controls on working sections.
- Communicate your presence and intended movements. Wait until miners acknowledge your message before moving your equipment.
- STOP and SOUND an audible warning device before tramming equipment through ventilation curtains.
- Avoid areas where equipment operators cannot readily see you.
- Wear personal strobe light devices to increase visibility.
This is the 19th fatality reported in 2020 and the fourth classified as “Powered Haulage.”