Accident Report: Fatality Reference
MINE FATALITY – On January 11, 2022, a 32 year-old miner died while driving on a mine road when a tree fell from a highwall onto the cab of his pickup truck.
- Examine highwalls frequently and from as many perspectives as possible (bottom, sides, and top/crest). Look for signs of instability such as cracks, sloughing, loose ground, and for fall of material hazards such as large trees and rocks.
- Train all miners to recognize hazardous highwall conditions.
- Conduct additional examinations as conditions warrant, especially during periods of changing weather conditions.
- Clear loose or potentially hazardous material from near the edge of highwalls and slopes, especially when persons will work or travel below.
- Develop and follow a ground control plan that addresses all potential hazards.
This is the third fatality reported in 2022 and the first classified as “Falling, Rolling, or Sliding Rock or Material of Any Kind.”