Accident Report: Fatality Reference
MINE FATALITY – On May 22, 2023, a miner died when the haul truck he was operating overturned, when the edge of the bank at a dump point gave way. The haul truck landed on the roof of the cab.
- Conduct workplace and ground condition examinations before work begins in an area.
- Dump material from a safe location and push the material over the edge with a bulldozer.
- Ensure dump locations on unconsolidated material are properly designed, constructed, and maintained.
- Construct substantial berms as a visual indicator to prevent overtravel. Clearly mark dump locations with reflectors and/or markers.
- Never load material from the toe of a stockpile that is directly below an active dump point. This may lead to an over steepened and unstable slope.
- Wear a seatbelt. Install advanced systems that restrain miners during roll-overs.
This is the 20th fatality reported in 2023, and the fifth classified as “Powered Haulage.”