Accident Report: Fatality Reference
METAL/NONMETAL MINE FATALITY – A contract maintenance mechanic was performing elevator maintenance when the car descended, crushing the mechanic against an elevator platform. The person died at the scene on December 3, 2019.
- De-energize, lock out and tag out, and block machinery or equipment that can injure miners – before entering the area.
- Post warning signs or barricades to keep miners out of areas where health or safety hazards exist.
- Install an audible alarm to warn of impending equipment movement.
- Evaluate and correct possible hazards promptly before working.
- Train personnel in safely using handrails and fall protection equipment during maintenance and construction activities. Ensure their use.
This is the 22nd fatality reported in 2019, and the seventh fatality classified as “Machinery.”