Accident Report: Fatality Reference
MINE FATALITY – On Jan. 16, 2021, a miner was fatally injured while using a tool to remove a down-the-hole hammer. The drill motor turned unexpectedly, pinning the driller’s leg between the tool and the drill mast.
- Establish and discuss safe work procedures before starting any task.
- Identify and control all hazards. Train all workers to recognize potential hazards and understand safe job procedures to eliminate hazards before beginning work.
- Follow manufacturer’s procedures for using equipment, and monitor employees for compliance.
- Position yourself in a safe location away from potential “danger-zone” areas.
- Train miners to safely perform their tasks.
- Conduct equipment inspections and correct any defects affecting safety.
This is the first fatality reported in 2021, and the first classified as “Machinery.”