Executive Orders 12866 and 13563 specifically addresses regulatory planning, coordination, and review by Federal agencies. Its goals are:
To make the Federal regulatory process more accessible and open to the public.
To provide the American people with a regulatory system -
- that promotes an open exchange of ideas;
- that works for them, not against them;
- that is based on the best available science;
- that protects and improves their health, safety, environment, and well-being;
- that improves the performance of the economy without imposing unacceptable or unreasonable costs on society;
- that recognizes that the private sector and private markets are the best engine for economic growth; and
- that respects the role of State, local, and tribal governments.
To ensure that rules are effective, sensible, understandable, written in plain language, and consistent within the same agency and between agencies.