Facility – Cement – On May 7, 2019, a miner suffered burns to his body when superheated gases carrying hot, fine, alkaline particles were forcefully expelled through an open process vessel door.The victim was on a platform 5-6 feet above other miners who were setting off a Cardox charge to free a blockage in the vessel. He opened the door around the same time they set off the charge.
- Wear appropriate protective clothing when working around superheated materials.
- Develop and follow safe work procedures for performing hazardous tasks.
- Ensure that equipment operators establish good communications between themselves and other miners that may be working around or near their work areas.
- Stay out of the line of fire when unchoking vessels, chutes and hoppers.
- Task train all persons to recognize all potential hazardous conditions and ensure they understand safe job procedures for elimination of the hazards.