Plant – Limestone – On 2/01/2018, the victim was cleaning up spillage near the dryer when his gloved right hand was pulled into the reciprocating feeder. He received serious injuries to his hand, including amputation of the middle finger.
- Do not work on or near an operating conveyor until it has been DE-ENERGIZED and the power has been LOCKED OUT, TAGGED OUT, and BLOCKED AGAINST HAZARDOUS MOTION.
- Establish and discuss safe work procedures.
- Examine work areas and identify and control all hazards before starting any work.
- Do not place yourself in a position that will expose you to hazards while performing a task.
- Monitor personnel routinely to determine that safe work procedures are followed.
- Ensure all guards are adequate and securely in place where exposed moving machine parts may be contacted by persons.