Surface – Taconite
– On May 17, 2018, a miner was injured when the excavator he was operating rolled down a 28-foot-high pile of eroded material.
- Conduct adequate examinations using competent persons of banks/slopes for signs of instability and promptly correct hazardous conditions that adversely affect safety and health
- Ensure that slopes or banks are sloped no steeper than the angle of repose, taken down, or supportedprior to work or travel occurring in areas.
- Use mining methods that ensure pit, highwall, slope, and bank stability and safe working conditions.
- Mobile equipment should travel as far from the edge of slopes as possible.
- Ensure proper procedures for seat belt use in equipment are in place.
- Ensure that all equipment is maintained in a good condition and safe operational practices are in place for the protection of personnel and equipment.
- Ensure training to understand the hazards associated with the work being performed is conducted and followed for all employees.