Surface – Copper
– On June 15, 2018, a miner fell from a man basket while exiting an electric shovel. The weldment used to secure the man basket to the shovel failed causing the miner to fall approximately 15 feet to the ground below. The miner was life flighted to a local hospital.
- Self-propelled mobile equipment should be thoroughly inspected before being placed in operation.
- Defects should be reported to and recorded by the mine operator. Defects affecting safety should be corrected in a timely manner.
- All persons should be properly trained in the safe operating procedures of equipment prior to operation.
- Routinely examine metal structures for indications of weakened structural components (corrosion, fatigue cracks, bent/buckling beams, braces or columns, damaged/loose/missing connectors, broken welds, etc.).
- Be alert that small cracks in equipment can quickly grow into a complete fracture. Cracked mechanical components should be taken out of service immediately.
- Consult with the manufacturer to dete the service/fatigue life of mechanical systems or parts.