Surface Sand and Gravel – The scrubber tower located at the mine structurally failed moments after a miner traveled through the area. Four main support columns failed, causing the scrubber tower to be unstable.
• Periodically conduct structural inspections.
• Routinely examine metal structures for indications of weakened structural soundness, including corrosion, fatigue cracks, bent/buckling beams, braces or columns, loose/missing connectors, broken welds, etc.
• Ensure supports are rated for the loads to which they may be subjected.
• Report all areas where indicators of structural weakness are found.
• Maintain good housekeeping around the base of structures, columns and flanges, as well as awnings and horizontal surfaces.