Surface – Sand and Gravel
– On January 19, 2018, a water truck operator and passenger were seriously injured when their truck overturned. The truck tank was ¾ full of water at the time of the accident and the roadway was slightly uneven. Both miners were wearing their seat belts.
- Maintain control of self-propelled mobile equipment while it is in motion.
- Post safe speed limits for the mine roads and remind mobile equipment operators to reduce speed when weather conditions change.
- Always make complete and thorough pre-operational equipment checks that include braking systems and seat belts before operating equipment.
- Equipment seatbelts should be provided and used at all times during operation. Monitor employees regularly to ensure seat belts are worn when operating mobile equipment
- Establish and maintain communications with all trucks and mobile equipment.
- Materials that make up road surfaces and road bases need to serve two functions: 1) provide adequate traction; and 2) provide support for the traffic without excessive sinking-in or rutting.