Cement Plant – Three miners were on the plant roof attempting to clean the roof vent buildup. They were tied off when the roof slowly collapsed. The miners removed themselves from the building and reported no injuries.
- Conduct structural inspections periodically.
- Routinely examine metal structures for indications of weakened structural soundness (corrosion, fatigue cracks, bent/buckling beams, braces or columns, loose/missing connectors, broken welds, etc.).
- Keep corrosive material spillage/build-up removed from metal structures.
- Report all areas where indications of structural weakness are found
- Train all persons to recognize and understand safe job procedures before beginning work.
- Wear fall protection where there is a danger of falling.