Underground Gold Mine – Two miners were trapped behind a back/roof fall when they could not safely exit their workplace. The roof fall was from rib to rib and extended approximately 15 feet in length and 5 feet high. The miners were safely removed from the area after being trapped for over four hours with no reported injuries.
- Train all miners and supervisors to conduct thorough examinations of the back/roof where persons will be working and traveling.
- Correct all hazardous conditions before allowing persons to work or travel in such areas.
- Provide additional support when back/roof fractures, or other abnormalities are detected.
- Be alert for changing conditions, especially after activities that could cause back/roof disturbance. Report abnormal back/roof conditions to mine management.
- Adequately support or scale any loose back/roof material from a safe location. Use a bar of suitable length and design when scaling.
- Danger off hazardous areas until appropriate corrective measures can be taken.